This tart has been on my mind for a while now. A bakewell tart is a quintessentially British bake. It was tricky for me to grasp as some are much more like an almond cake rather than a tart. I wanted a shortbread crust, layer of cherry jam, frangipane and fresh cherries baked on top. I ended up doing a great deal of research as I also wanted this to be vegan.
In the end, I am very happy with how this tart turned out!
I opted for the food processor to bring the crust together since I would be using it to grind up the almonds shortly.
Since this was a British dessert I decided to take their approach to tart dough. A common British technique it to leave the pastry overhanging the pan to bake then cut the excess off once the tart has been baked.
I didn’t have quite enough almonds to get my measurement up to 2 cups so I ended up topping up with cashews and it worked out perfectly.
All ingredients go into a bowl and are mixed together. I used coconut milk yogurt but you can use any type of yogurt.
This tastes a little tooooo good out of the bowl.
I thought it would be really fun to wear my new white shorts while pitting the cherries! Luckily, no stains.
Once the tart shell has been blind baked and trimmed you can assemble everything.
The cherry jam is spread along the bottom, then the frangipane is dolloped on top. Scatter the cherries and almonds. Bake this for about 40 minutes or until its bubbly and golden. Be sure to place a baking sheet on the bottom rack just in case it spills over.
Dust it with icing sugar and cut it into little triangles.
Behind the scenes to get natural sunlight with one focused puppy!
Vegan Cherry Bakewell Tart
2.5 cups flour
6 tbsp white sugar
9 tbsp butter
4 tbsp water
1/3 vegan butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup coconut milk yogurt
2 cups ground almonds
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup cherry jam
5-10 fresh cherries, pitted and halved
Handful of raw sliced almonds
Icing sugar, for dusting
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and vegan butter. Pulse until the dough looks like wet sand. Add in the water. Wrap the dough and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Press the chilled dough into the pan, allowed for some overhang. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut off the excess dough.
- To make the frangipane, combine the vegan butter, flour, sugar, ground almonds, coconut milk yogurt and almond extract until a thick dough comes together.
- Spread the cherry jam along the bottom of the tart shell. Spoon the frangipane on top and spread to the edges. Press in the cherry halves and sprinkle with almond slices.
- Bake for 40 minutes with a baking tray underneath to catch any dripping filling.
- Allow to cool completely. Remove from pan and dust with icing sugar. It is best served at room temperature.