One of my favourite summertime memories will always be picking strawberries. We do it every year and it manages to be the hottest day ever.
I love to bake a rhubarb strawberry crisp with the berries but on the day of picking its mandatory to whip some cream and eat them on cake.
Freshly picked berries! There were 6 more baskets…
The cake starts by whisking together the dry ingredients.
You add in the buttermilk, oil, sour cream, egg and vanilla.
Give the berries a quick rinse.
Stir in a few spoonfuls of sugar!
Lightly whip cream to soft peaks and dollop it on the cake. Spoon the berries and some of their juice on top.
A perfect summertime treat.
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Heavy cream and strawberries for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the buttermilk, oil, sour cream, vanilla and egg in a measuring cup.
- Add to the wet ingredients to the dry. Beat together for 2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Whip cream, sweeten with icing sugar. Slice berries and stir in a spoonful of sugar.
- Cut the cake into squares, dollop the whipped cream and spoon berries on top.