These were a happy little accident. Instead of the usual scones, I added some cinnamon, then topped them with cinnamon sugar. Those two things instantly make anything taste like a churro and those are usually dipped in a milk chocolate sauce. I went with Nutella instead and I think you should too.
This recipe yields 8 reasonably sized scones.
Its such an easy recipe! You can pour through hundreds of scone recipes with finicky little techniques but this is my basic scone recipe that is so easy to customize. Leave the cinnamon out and go from there. Make lemon sugar, throw in some blueberries! Chop some dried cherries and dark chocolate!
You cut in the butter, or vegan margarine to make it dairy free. I used coconut milk instead of heavy cream as well for this batch to make them vegan but you’d never know.
The disk gets brushed with heavy cream or coconut milk and dusted with a generous coating of cinnamon sugar.
You want enough on there so it forms a crunchy topping similar to a churro.
They bake up so beautifully! 20 minutes exactly gets you these perfect scones.
Let them cool for about a minute before pulling them apart.
I couldn’t stop taking pictures of them.
Out comes the Nutella! This is actually a dairy free chocolate hazelnut spread I found at my grocery store but its just as delicious.
You must be sure to add the Nutella to them while they are still warm so you create a melted chocolate sauce, just as if you’re eating a churro. But its breakfast time (or in my case, lunch)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp + 3 tbsp (for topping) granulated sugar
1 tsp + 1 tsp (for topping) cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp butter or vegan margarine
1 cup + 2 tbsp (for topping) heavy cream or coconut milk
Nutella, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles wet sand. Stir in the heavy cream and mix gently until a shaggy dough forms.
- Form the dough into a disk on the prepared baking sheet, brush with heavy cream. In a small bowl mix the remaining cinnamon and sugar together. Sprinkle on top of the scone dough.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and bake for 20 minutes. If you pull them apart they will bake in about 15 minutes.
- Allow the scones to sit for a few minutes before pulling them apart, split them in half and spread the Nutella while they are still warm.