Happy Saturday! Please make these! They are so much fun and full on entertainment to watch in the oven.
It starts with a thin batter and you think, noo way is this going to work! And then you just keep going and then it just bubbles up and takes on this wild shape and you stuff it with berries and sugar!!
The first step is incredible. You take your cast iron skillet and melt butter. Beautiful.
In a blender you whirl together the ingredients. You must let this batter sit in the blender for at least 30 minutes before proceeding.
It goes in as an eggy batter and comes out a new person!
I chose to fill mine with mixed berries. You can do anything. I really should have put some spoonfuls of Nutella down first.
Baby Dutch Babies
Yield: 4 4-inch dutch babies or 1 10-inch dutch baby
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2 tbsps granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter
- In a blender, mix together the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Blend it for about 20 seconds.
- Let the batter sit for about 30 minutes. You want the flour to absorb the liquid before baking.
- In the meantime you can get your baby skillets ready. I used four 4 inch skillets. You can also use one 10 inch cast iron skillet if you want one dutch baby. Put the four skillets into the oven to warm
- Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each of the warmed pans and swirl it around to fully coat the pan.
- Add the batter to each of the pans and put into the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are browned
- You can serve these right in their pans or pop them out onto a plate.
- I topped mine with fruit and icing sugar but there are about a million different routes you can take!